NSW adds 10 new occupations to Skilled Occupation List for permanent visa subclass 190

by IDP IELTS — February 17th, 2021

Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, announced in February 2021 that it will add 10 new occupations to its Skilled Occupation List. That’s for Permanent Visa (subclass 190). Check if your occupation is listed.

Overall, Australia sets a maximum number of places for its migration program every year. And, for 2020 and 2021, the total places available is capped at a ceiling of 160,000. Some of these require your profession to be on the Skilled Occupation List. Now, here are some of the key highlights are:

  • 79,600 places allocated in the Skill stream
  • 77,300 places have been allocated to the Family stream
  • Only 6,500 places allocated to Skilled Independent visas


Access the Guide for Migration to Australia

Full list of the new occupations for NSW

Below is a list of the 10 new occupations that NSW added to its Skilled Occupation List in February 2021.

  • 233211 Civil Engineer
  • 233212 Geotechnical Engineer
  • 233214 Structural Engineer
  • 233215 Transport Engineer
  • 233511 Industrial Engineer
  • 233512 Mechanical Engineer
  • 233513 Production or Plant Engineer
  • 312211 Civil Engineering Draftsperson
  • 312212 Civil Engineering Technician
  • 312999 Building and Engineering Technicians


Work as Engineer in Australia?

Engineers Australia is the designated authority for assessing skills and competencies related to engineering occupations in Australia. Engineers Australia works with the Department of Home Affairs, migration agents and international organisations. And it helps to develop streamlined migration skills assessment procedures for engineers, like you!

Every year, Engineers Australia helps thousands of engineers in and outside of Australia achieve their goals. So, whether you are a foreign student that needs assessment for a new visa, or a skilled engineer seeking a new life in our beautiful country, contact Engineers Australia for help.

When you register as Engineer in Australia, you may need to prove your English language proficiency. IELTS is officially accepted by Engineers Australia.

Book IELTS for Engineers

What is Australia’s points system for immigration?

When you’re thinking of migrating to Australia as a Permanent Resident (PR), you may come across points-based visas. We’ll explain what this is and how the Australian PR points calculator works.

Check Australia’s points system for immigration

Full list for Skilled Nominated (Permanent) visa (subclass 190) in NSW

The full list of occupations NSW is currently nominating for the subclass 190 and subclass 491 visas can be found below. Please be aware that these lists are subject to change without notice. So, it’s good to keep checking the NSW Government website. You can also access information about minimum eligibility criteria, and how invitation rounds work, can be found on the dedicated Skilled Nominated (Permanent) visa (subclass 190) website. Or, to get information on how to apply for regional NSW nomination can be found on our Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) website.

Full list for Skilled Nominated visas in New South Wales (February 2021)

133211  Engineering Manager
134211  Medical Administrator
134212  Nursing Clinical Director
134214  Welfare Centre Manager
233211  Civil Engineer
233212  Geotechnical Engineer
233214  Structural Engineer
233215  Transport Engineer
233511  Industrial Engineer
233512  Mechanical Engineer
233513  Production or Plant Engineer
233911  Aeronautical Engineer
233913  Biomedical Engineer
233916  Naval Architect
233999  Engineering Professionals nec
254411  Nurse Practitioner
254412  Registered Nurse (Aged Care)
254413  Registered Nurse (Child and Family Health)
254414  Registered Nurse (Community Health)
254415  Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency)
254417  Registered Nurse (Disability and Rehabilitation)
254418  Registered Nurse (Medical)
254421  Registered Nurse (Medical Practice)
254422  Registered Nurse (Mental Health)
254423  Registered Nurse (Perioperative)
254424  Registered Nurse (Surgical)
254425  Registered Nurse (Paediatric)
254499  Registered Nurses nec
261111  ICT business Analyst
261112  Systems Analyst
261311  Analyst Programmer
261312  Developer Programmer
261313  Software Engineer
262112  ICT Security Specialist
263111  Computer Network and Systems Engineer
312211  Civil Engineering Draftsperson
312212  Civil Engineering Technician
312311  Electrical Engineering Draftsperson
312312  Electrical Engineering Technician
312999  Building and Engineering Technicians nec

How does the points test work for Australian skilled migration?

When you lodge apply for an independent skills migration visa, you need to meet a minimum pass mark. Each visa will have its own pass minimum points score. For example, you need a minimum of 65 points to be able to submit an expression of interest for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) visa. The Department of Home Affairs has an online Australian PR points calculator.

Points can be claimed for a few different personal factors:

  • age
  • English proficiency
  • employment experience
  • educational qualifications
  • community language qualifications
  • the skills of your partner
  • you can also get extra points if you’re invited to apply for a visa by a state or territory government agency.

Access the points calculator

Use IELTS for Migration

Your visa options

If you like the opportunity to live, study or work in Australia, there are many visa options available to you. There is a study visa, skilled, sponsored work visa and business visa. Some of these may lead to Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia.

IELTS Migration Guide for work & study


Your IELTS options

The IELTS Academic test has been developed if you wish to study at university or college as an undergraduate or postgraduate student or join or gain entry into a professional institution. The IELTS General Training test has been developed to test your every-day, non-academic English.

Which IELTS test do you need?


Book IELTS for your visa

Immigration and the law

Legislation about immigration changes frequently. It’s important to check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for changes that may apply to you. If you are interested in Australian student visas, work visas, or looking to migrate permanently, you need to lodge an application with the Australian Government. You may want to consider getting support from a lawyer or migration agent. However, you can also get free advice for student visas.

Need help with your student placement?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.