Which IELTS test should I take?

by IELTS — July 17th, 2019

IELTS Academic or General Training. How do you know which IELTS test is right for you?

There are two tests available: IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The test you choose should be based on what it is you want to do. The Academic test is usually for entry into university. General training is used for migration purposes. The organisation where you plan to work or study sets the requirements. So before you book your test, it is good to check which one is right for you.

Can I take IELTS General Training?

IELTS General Training tests your English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The tasks and tests reflect both workplace and social situations. IELTS is the only English test that provides General Training for migration purposes.

Take IELTS General Training if you want to:
  • Migrate to Australia, New Zealand or another English-speaking country
  • Get another job in your own country.
  • Study or train below degree level
  • Work in an English-speaking country


Do I need IELTS Academic?

You should do IELTS Academic for an academic environment. For example, studying at University. This test measures whether your level of English language proficiency at an academic level. It reflects aspects of academic language. Also, it helps to assess if you’re ready to begin your studies.

Take IELTS Academic if you want to:


IELTS is recognised by more than 10,000 universities and employers globally. It’s also recognised by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies.

Search Australian organisations who accept IELTS scores

IELTS Academic or General Training on computer

You can do your IELTS Academic or your IELTS General Training test on a computer. This is the same test as paper-based IELTS. But, instead of writing your answers on paper, you type them on a computer. So, why would you do IELTS on computer?

For almost 30 years, IELTS has been a paper-based English test that people have used to achieve their work, study and migration dreams. But you asked for more choice – and we’ve listened. Meet computer-delivered IELTS: the same IELTS test you know, delivered via computer, with multiple test sessions a day and fast results.


What is computer-delivered IELTS?


Play video
Watch the video
Read the video transcript
Two test to chose from

IELTS academic or general training, which do you need? So, you know you need to take an IELTS test. You are probably wondering, which test should I take. IELTS offers an academic and non-academic version, that’s called general training. Everyone’s situation is different but here are a few tips to help find out which test is right for you.

IELTS Academic

IELTS academic could be the right test for you, if you are planning to study at university or you’re applying for professional registration. Whether you’re a doctor and engineer or teacher in training, it assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training in an environment where English is the language used.

IELTS General Training

IELTS general training might be the choice for you if you are going to an English-speaking country to do secondary education, work experience or a training program. It focuses on everyday language that you might use in the workplace or in day-to-day conversations. And finally, remember, every organization that you’re applying to, sets their own arts requirements. They decide, if they will accept academic or general training results and the level of English or band score that you need to demonstrate. So before booking your test, it is a good idea to contact them directly and ask which tests you need to be enrolled in.

Whichever you choose, from me to you, all the best for your IELTS test. You can find out more about the two types of IELTS tests here.

Access free practice tools