IELTS Forum and Community Masterheader

Open discussion

Connect with other IELTS test takers online and join the online community

Tagged: 

This topic contains 221 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by  Agnes 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    IELTS Australia
    IELTS Australia
    Keymaster

In here you can talk about literally anything!Β IfΒ you have something to say and are not sure which thread to add it to,Β try adding it here.

• Author
    Replies

Juban
    Participant

Are there chances that I would be employed here in Australia after I finish my course?

Agnes
      Participant

U allways have chances to get employed, but pretty much it depends of u!

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

How do I delete the first comment? This is too long already. I clicked on on submit button twice because I tried to make a corectin. It worked, but it was sent twice. This forum needs a little improvement. (I’m not talking ill of it ok? Just saying)

Continuing:

After the 4 months I could feel I was becoming comfortable with my writting ability. Then I started to avoid keeping in the game and starting speaking to my self. It was hard in the beginning but it started to flow, eventually. Very simple english speaking, but I was happy with that.

I could even go to Los Angeles and not getting lost in it haha

however, so far I still don’t feel fluent, though I practice it every single day at least a bit. I think I have other problems to solve in my mind that will release this fluency that i feel I already have but it is like you have and you canot use it. =/

What about you guys, assuming that you all have read this Great story?!

thanks for reading it all, by the way. XD

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Leandro, Nice to hear your story of learning. I studied on a Kinder Garden school, they provided us 3-4 books in English. There were some common English word books, English grammar books and so on.

But when I started to avoid to learn new words, I became weak in English. Then I again started to learn new words and trying to practice more and more. Now I think I am improving.

πŸ™‚ thanks

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

I think I have an interesting new subject for us. The time you’ve been studying english and how comfortable you feel when you need to use this ability. let me tell you my history on it:

I always wanted to learn english. I remember when I was a little kid, maybe 5 or 6 years and I learned the very simple words, like house, bike, garden, car, mother, father, ball and doll.

my mom taught me the numbers from 1 to ten, and when I had repeated all of them many imes, I started to learn eleven and twelve. When I tried to learn thirteen I felts intimidated haha. I was very silly since this would be much easier from this point on. You all understand it, right?

Ok, then I kept learning english very slowly by learning it in my school, but here in brazil — and I think in mostly countries– they emphasize grammar much more, so I didn’t improve much.

But this is a common subject I suppose. I want to talk about the sounds and pronunciation. the american “r” sound I learned it very fast. I cannot say if I got it quickly because I started it very soon or because I am good in imitations. Maybe both.

To be continued…

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Despite it all, I haven’t felt really good though I started learning english like 25 years ago. I started facing it more seriously only about 3 years ago or so. I could talk with people but it was a bit tense. I haven’t the words I needed so I had to open a dictionary in a new tab every time I was chatting. I could win some money with this poor ability, though.

One year later I noticed I had learned many new words. maybe a thousand. As I had learned at that time we all need to know about 3.500 words to speak fluently about common subjects, I felt a bit out of date. I should start speaking, but I realized I couldn’t. This gave me an idea. I should find an activity, like a game, to spend hours on it everyday chatting with people in english. then I came across a game in facebook that could give me that opportunity. I had already played this game in 2010, but I didn’t emember that. I re-joined it just for curiosity, and then I realized I had the perfect environment for what I needed. Great. I spent hours in it for about 4 months.

To be continued…

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Despite it all, I haven’t felt really good though I started learning english like 25 years ago. I started facing it more seriously only about 3 years ago or so. I could talk with people but it was a bit tense. I haven’t the words I needed so I had to open a dictionary in a new tab every time I was chatting. I could win some money with this poor ability, though.

One year later I noticed I had learned many new words. maybe a thousand. As I had learned at that time we all need to know about 3.500 words to speak fluently about common subjects, I felt a bit out of date. I should start speaking, but I realized I couldn’t. This gave me an idea. I should find an activity, like a game, to spend hours on it everyday chatting with people in english. then I came across a game in facebook that could give me that opportunity. I had already played this game in 2010, but I didn’t emember that. I re-joined it just for curiosity, and then I realized I had the perfect environment for what I needed. Great. I spend hours in it for about 4 months.

To be continued…

arden
    Participant

What are the different General Skill Migration types, and what’s the process to apply?

leo
      Participant

Hi Arden,
      Here are the General Skill Migration Types:
      Skilled Independent Subclass 189– this requires an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) but does not require sponsorship by a relative or state/territory government
      Skilled Nominated Subclass 190 -this requires an occupation on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List and a nomination by a state or territory government
      Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489 – requires either sponsorship by a relative living in a designated area or by a state or territory government

The process are as follows:

1. Complete the English language testing
      2. Complete Skills Assessment
      3. Make Expression of Interest through SkillSelect
      4. For subclass 190 or 489, complete the state nomination

Once the SkillSelect invitation is received,you’ll need to make the application for the skilled migration visa, complete other requirements such as Health and Police check. You’ll only receive the SkillSelect Invitation and once the application for the skilled migration visa is lodged, would then a student receive a bridging visa.

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Hi Arden, I don’t know that either, however, what would be yours? Mine is related to digital arts.

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

By thw way, it is better to discuss it in the appropriate topic. This is “open discussion”, there is one for this kind of subject, the “IELTS general Q&A discussion” =)

Kara
    Kara
    Participant

Hello Janlee,
    Here’s what I can say and I hope it answers your question:
    1. Write from your life. If your exam questions are for an opinion on a topic, give your honest answer.

2. Plan ahead.
    write down as many words as you can related to the topic before writing. If you’re asked about family you may think of your 1st degree family, relatives then to build your answers from them.

Janlee
      Participant

Thank you

Janlee
    Participant

Can anybody help with some tips about quickly developing ideas for argument essays? I cannot care less about this topic! Pro or con, either way doesn’t bother me at all!

Anita
      Anita
      Participant

I recommend to quickly think of points a main idea and two subsidiary ideas, each of which with a pro and a con thath you can discuss in (point, counterpoint, conclusion).

Janlee
        Participant

Thanks Anita

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Janlee, these topics can be here :

Agree / disagree
      Discuss two opinions
      Advantages & disadvantages
      Causes (reasons) & solutions
      Causes (reasons) & effects
      Problems & solutions

You have to write 3 part for this. These are :

Introduction
      Body Paragraphs
      Conclusion

For getting band score 9 you have to conscious about some things. I am writing bellow:

Task response:
      The model answer fully answers the question by stating several arguments both for and against the expansion of higher education. The candidate’s position is clearly expressed in the conclusion. The style is appropriate to academic writing and the answer is at least 250 words in length.

Coherence and cohesion:
      The model answer has an introduction and conclusion. Each body paragraph deals with a different side of the argument and begins with a clear topic sentence. Arguments are developed with logical connectives such as therefore and furthermore.

Lexical resource:
      There is a good range of vocabulary suited to an argument essay, including reporting verbs like claim and suggest, and hedging verbs like can and appear. There is native-like collocation throughout, including growing prosperity, enter the workplace and severely restricted.

Grammatical range and accuracy:
      The model answer uses a wide range of grammatical devices appropriate to academic writing. These include conditionals (If…), participle clauses (…, increasing the…), concessive clauses (while it can…) and passive constructions (…it can be argued that…). There are no grammatical errors.

thanks πŸ™‚

Janlee
        Participant

Thanks Redoy!

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Hi Janlee, I think you don’t really need to be original, just coherent, of course. SO you can think about the consequences of the atitudes people have. Like devastating forests, or climate changes, or killing animals and why this is a bad thing. Economics, if people are having difficulties because of bureaucracy (this is a hard word for me) then they will not work too happy and lines in banks and government buildings will become longer. Or nowadays you can talk about internet and how it makes our lifes easier. Consequences.

When you think about it, it will bring up some emotions. They will aso bring to you some memories and you’ll have plenty of things to talk about, but in a coherent way, do not spit them out on the sheet. XD

I hope I have helped you.

Janlee
        Participant

Mmmmmmmm, I think you didn’t get the point but thanks. I understand your point though. Thanks

Hello, I am looking for
    study partners for help me via skype or google hang outs. Tnx

chin
    Participant

Whats difference between Filipino president Duterte and Us presidant Ronald Trump?

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Chin, Good topics. I am not a politician but I love to keep my eye on it. I am not making any different between them. I love both of them. Actually in politics, politician should talk straight forward about everything. Both of them follow that rules. And I am really impressed on Duterte cause he opened his border for all refuges. On the other hand trump willing to get out all refuges.

πŸ™‚

cathy
      Participant

LOL TRUMP & DUTERTE

Trump VS Duterte

randall
        Participant

LOL, this is funny. They are both weird and they are both making a name in the history.

lisa
      lisa
      Participant

Wow! that caught my attention. I am not into politics but I keep seeing them in the news and in Facebook. They both have lots of issues about their attitude, that’s all I can say I do not want to bashed so hahahha

chin
        Participant

HiHiHiHi I totally agree.

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Anyone else here likes metallica? I do. They have just released (november 18th) their album Hardwired in the youtube. This is the song I liked the most:

tfi
    Participant

What are your best tips before or while taking the IELTS test? Thanks

Genessa Mae
      Genessa Mae
      Participant

Hello Tfi,
      I got these tips from my friends who took IELTS and now I share it to my students.

1. Arrive on time – Set your alarm and keep in mind the time and date of your test. If you’re late, you may not be allowed to take the test so allow plenty of time to travel going to the test centre.

2. Be prepared – Bring the right identification and other pertinent documents with you. If you provite the wrong ID, you will not be allowed to take the test.

3.Be calm – it is normal to be nervous but do not allow nervousness to eat you. Do not get blocked out so be calm.

4. Remember that your ability to communicate effectively and not your general knowledge.

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Is the tests applied in the morning? I work beter in the morning. Everything looks more fresh. Or should I say Fresher?

Redoy
          Redoy
          Participant

Many thanks for the tips Genessa Mae. πŸ™‚ Actually mindset is most important.

Rosa
    Rosa
    Participant

Hello Leandro

I don’t want to talk about IELTS here. Let’s talk about something fun. I saw Ellen de Generes on TV. She got a medal from Barack Obama. He is very handsome. My mother say Ellen is bad lady, not marry man. I say Ellen nice lady, smiling, brave. She say priest say Ellen bad. I do not say anything. I think maybe I am sinner, not agreeing with church, but I still like Ellen and I still like Barack Obama. Jesus say “love”. My mother loves me, but I think that many times she finds reasons not to love people. What do you think?

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Difference between opinion is normal. I think your mom is experienced then you in the real life. He can judge people more effectively then you. You should respect her opinion and ask her why she think so. Try to find get those issue. Yes, Obama really a great person. πŸ™‚

thanks

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Thanks for adding fuel to the forum again!

Well, I think we will start to talk about bible here. It can go very far, and maybe it won’t be easy to consider every one’s judgements. Let’s try to be short.

I have one thing to say that, quoting the bible, everybody will agree:

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven”

Matthew 22:29-31

So, we can’t judge someone that would never choose to sufffer having a female body that doesn’t like their opposed sex. I can’t say this is right, but if you consider that they wouldn’t choose that if they could, then this is not their fault.

She looks like a sensate person. She is a grown woman, and psychologists, scientists, etc still don’t have a good answer to what is it.

Leandro
          Leandro
          Participant

Have you guys seen this cute girl trying to speak portuguese?

She reached 1 million views very fast because of this video. It is very funny.

She also have other language videos (like spanish) and she said that there is more of these videos coming up soon.

She is Dutch, and practically 19 years old.

It is very funny to watch her trying it haha

I’m using this video to watch it repeatedly to have the phrases in my head easier to remember. =)

Redoy
            Redoy
            Participant

Hi Leandro, It is a funny video. She use a app to get response. She was quick so newer will not get her easily. Btw thanks for the video. πŸ™‚

Leandro
            Leandro
            Participant

Do you guys want to share your opinions for good and fo r bad about you own countries? Or places you want to visit too?

I still have to visit my own country. I only know like 10 different cities that worth it visiting (I mean the most famous), so I still have more 20-30 in the list haha.

Aside that, I want to visit Japan, China, London, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Egypt, Turkey, Dubai, Argentina, Cuba, Caribe, Florida, New York, Washington D.C., Cidade del Mexico, Antardida (Yes, I want to watch the sun course a different path haha), Russia (Maybe for the Cup), Romenia, Greece, Singapore and India. I think that’s all haha

What about you guys?

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Where are you people? Don’t you want to discuss about anything?

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

I am here. How are you ? You are from Brazil I know that. Lets talk about your national football team. Do you know there are huge number of crazy supporter in our country who support Brazil football team. In the time of World Cup maximum rooftop in our country decorated by Brazil national flag. Some people paint Brazil’s national flag on their whole building.

They are crazy about Brazil. πŸ™‚

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Hey Redoy,

I forgot where you’re from. Sorry.

Well, yes, there are a big number overseas that are crazy about my country. However, tehre are many people from here that want to leave it, because of politics. Well, if you don’t mind much about politic, then you’ll probably be happy here. Just try to live in a safe place and have a private healthy plan you’ll be settle!

What I have to talk about our team is that it is becoming a dream team again!!!

We have more great players than we actually need. Do you know Douglas Costa?

He is not even having his space in the team. He has to join the team in the final minutes, because he is not being neccessary hahaha

That is a BIG RELIEF!

We have been suffering because of the other coach. He was very stubborn. When he was changed, everything re-started to be ok again!

thansk for starting the conversation hahaha

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Can you guys come up with some of the key words and common phrases mostly used in this kind of test?

Neve
      Neve
      Participant

Hi Leandro,
      Are you referring to Life Skills? I guess key words and phrases would actually depend on what questions they would be asking you. I would suggest that it would be better to think of possible situations or questions and get yourself familiar with the main ideas being asked before getting into phrases or words related to the topic.

πŸ™‚
      Neve

fred
    Participant

Hello Neve,thank you!Now I know ideas how to focus but first I need research and understand some words I will be use in the process.

Neve
    Neve
    Participant

Hi there Fred!
    The focus of IELTS Life Skills, depending on what level you are, are as follows:
    A1: You need to focus on listening and speaking about your basic informations, feelings and opinions on familar topics. When answering, you should know how to describe, state preferences, agree or disagree and suggest.
    B1: You need to focus on listening and speaking/ with straightforward explanations and with appropriate formality. When responding, you need to compare, show contrast, cause and reason. You should also know how to persuade and express ideas with certainty or possibility.

Cheers!

leo
      Participant

Thanks for the very helpful info, Neve!

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Fred, Neve is correct. At first you have to select which category test you are looking for. In all sector you have to focus on Speak and listen clearly.

thanks πŸ™‚

fred
    Participant

What is the focus of Life Skills when taking IELTS. I need to know so I will try to practice on it.

Rosa
    Rosa
    Participant

Thank you for helping me understand avatar. I try to crop picture.

Genessa Mae
    Genessa Mae
    Participant

Hello Rosa,

I think you are referring to the avatar in your profile here. If so, you might need to crop the image and set it to where you want to focus on your image. Don’t forget to save.

tristan
    Participant

Rosa like this avatar you mean? sorry don’t know avatar

Rosa
    Rosa
    Participant

I made avatar (Avatar, like film?) and it is on side. How I make it right?

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Rosa, I get you. This avatar is not avatar like movie. The words “Avatar” use many where as synonym of profile picture or DP. You can make avatar right by editing or croping.

Thanks πŸ™‚

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Yes Rosa, Avatar like in the film. Of course, not exactly the same, but avatar it is like an instance of you, being it virtual or, Idk, like a transportation of your conscience to another body.

This term is used in many other things such as games.

You have a son right? He has probably played a game in which h had to customize a character. That is his avatar in the game. He is the one who controls it. =)

paol
    Participant

I do not encourage people to buy certificate. Is useless to have fake certificate not learned anything. Is better to do hard job learning and earn certificate

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Paol, I am agree with you. And I am anger with this kind of organization.

Rachel
    Rachel
    Participant

if you’re on Facebook, I can recommend following Grammar Girl (Mignon Fogarty). She always puts her posts in both writing and as an audio clip. She’s an American, but knows UK English as well, so she is aware of the differences between UK and US English. Some of what she posts is more for linguists, but it is super interesting. I like to listen to the podcasts she makes, because I can do other things at the same time. Very useful also, for getting used to listening to English being spoken. She’s on Twitter and Linkedin as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s also on Instagram and other social media.

https://www.facebook.com/GrammarGirl/

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Rachel, Thanks for your information. I guess it will be interesting for me cause I was looking for that kind of things. I already viewed her. πŸ™‚

Mohit
    Participant

Hello Aleix
    visit the nearest office address of ielts asap

aleix
    Participant

Hi sir/madam, I’ve not got my speaking test mail yet as I received my confirmation slip of test date on 17 august which will be on 3rd September. So what can I do?

ane
      Participant

hello,

have you checked your email? Please check your spam folder. If you didn’t get the email, contact the test-authority as soon as possible.

Anna
    Participant

I’m thinking of taking a IELTs test in the end of this year or so. My last test was literally 3 years ago, and I’m actually not sure where to start again to prepare for another test.

dirk
      dirk
      Participant

If it’s been 3 years since you last sat the test, you will need to be aware that your language skills may not necessarily have improved, even if you have been living in an English-speaking country.
      Recent research on international students found that it appeared harder to improve in the productive language skills (speaking and writing) than in the receptive skills (listening and reading). The study found that the least average improvement was in writing*.
      This means that even if you did well in the test previously, you will still need to prepare thoroughly, and consider taking an IELTS preparation course as a refresher.

Rachel
    Rachel
    Participant

Gosh! This website is becoming very busy and friendly. It’s great.

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Rachel, I also think so.. Great !! πŸ˜€

emyr
    Participant

Will my previous IELTS score affect my new score?

emyr
      Participant

Thank you for the information Benjamin and Redoy. I appreciate it. I am preparing for the test and I’ll make sure I get high score. thank you

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi emyr, I am agree with benjamin. I think It will not hamper your new test.

πŸ™‚

benjamin
      benjamin
      Participant

Emyr,

I believe no, your previous IELTS score will not affect your new IELTS score. no need to worry about your previous score if you are sitting for the IELTS tthe second time.

dan
    Participant

Does the IELTS test differ in various parts of the world?

benjamin
      benjamin
      Participant

Hello Dan,

It does not assess candidates from different geographical location differently. However, the questions may vary depending on the test locations or centres. But the IELTS authority strictly maintains the standard and questions format in all location.

paol
    Participant

How much does it cost to take IELTS?

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi paol, The cost is set by test center and depends on county. It will cost around $200 or Β£115 GBP or €190 Euros.

thanks

dirk
      dirk
      Participant

The rate depends on which country you are in due to the currency conversion. Here in the Philippines it was Php9,400. but it just got up to Php9,780 this 2016.

jervis
    Participant

What is the minimum age requirement for IELTS?

dirk
      dirk
      Participant

16, the minimum age requirement to take the test is 16 years old.

arsne
    Participant

do you know site where I type word and it will play so i know how to pronouns?

ean
    Participant

Which countries accept the IELTS Score?

ean
      Participant

Thank you

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi ean, There are many country around the world who accept IELTS score. If you want to go other country for study purpose then you can visit your targeted University’s website. They provide their requirement on their website. Some require IELTS some TOFEL, GRE.

thanks

Genessa Mae
      Genessa Mae
      Participant

Hello Ean! I think it is only Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

tristan
    Participant

do we request TRF everytime we need?

ane
      Participant

Hello Tristan,

You will be provided one copy of your Test Report Form after you take the test. Replacements cannot be issued, so make sure you keep it safe. But if you’ll need more copies for submission purposes, Your test centre can forward copies of your Test Report Form to five recognized organisations for you free of charge. You will be asked to name these five when you book your test. They will be sent electronically, so in some cases your chosen organisations will receive your results before you do.

If you would like extra copies sent to other organisations, ask your test centre.

norman
    Participant

Any rules during the test?

leo
    Participant

How do I know if IELTS examiners are being fair?

nina
    Participant

what is correct between Stationary/stationery?

Genessa Mae
      Genessa Mae
      Participant

Stationary is an adjective meaning fixed, unchanging, standing still, remaining in one place. Stationery is a noun meaning a writing paper/ special paper. Here is a video too,

daniel
    Participant

Are IELTS results valid for three years if I’m migrating to Australia?

Genessa Mae
      Genessa Mae
      Participant

3 years. I was told that it was 2 years before but it was changed i think 2012.

viktor
    Participant

What topics are covered in the IELTS Speaking test?

dirk
      dirk
      Participant

it changes Viktor.
      check the most recent

gwenneg
    Participant

Where to check IELTS schedule? is it the same for all country?

ane
      Participant

Hello Gwenneg,

The standards are the same but the dates differ. The British Council schedules Academic 48 days per year and General Training 24 days per year. Your local test center can offer IELTS tests on any of the said days but dates may vary according to the demand. So it is not the same date globally.

gregers
    Participant

I heard it is easy to cheat at an IELTS test. Is this true?

oliver
      oliver
      Participant

I don’t agree. I failed so it’s not easy to cheat. what they teached me in center is not the same in real test. they aware cheat is possible so they update and change often.

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi gregers, I never think so. They has a standard all over the world. There are many people who got bad result.
      thanks

Genessa Mae
      Genessa Mae
      Participant

I do not think it is true because most part of it is based on your opinion, knowledge, delivery, construction of sentences, grammar etc. it is based on skills and if it’s true how come there are a lot who fail?

ludolf
    Participant

How many correct answers do I need to get in the Listening or Reading test to pass?

benjamin
      benjamin
      Participant

hello Ludolf.
      According to official IELTS guidelines:

Band 6 is about 23 out of 40
      Band 7 is about 30
      Band 8 is about 35

Redoy
        Redoy
        Participant

Thank you very much benjamin for sharing with us the info. Now I can plan clearly that how can I manage good score. πŸ™‚

tmas
    Participant

“Is race issue? I’m worried if the IELTS examiner does not like me they will give
    me a low mark.”

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi tmas, if you feel nervous then examiner will provide you low mark. Cause they will judge your body language, nervousness, fluency, accuracy and lexical resource. So please try to be confident.

thanks πŸ™‚

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Nowadays: I think they would notice that someone is being racist and they would change it.

ane
      Participant

Tmas,

I do not see any reason to be worried. IELTS is based on the answers you will provide.It’s about your English proficiency not your skin color or race.

oliver
    oliver
    Participant

What is the format of the IELTS Life Skills test?

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Does everybody know that we only need about 3.500 words to speak fluently about the most common subjects? If you do know that, then the tip I can give you is to practice only these words in orer to become sluent at least for this kind of situation.

Another great tip is that you not only have to worried about thw vocabulary, but you really really should practice PHRASES! Practice PHRASES! The most comon like:

“Hey, It is good to see you again!”
      “Hey, How are you?”
      “How is it going?”
      “What do you do for a living?”
      “What is your job?”
      “Did you watch the TV Show last night?”
      “It was amazing!”
      “Hey, long time no see you!”
      “How about it?”
      “What is your name?”
      “Have we met?”
      “.. and so on…”
      “I’m on my way home”
      “Do you want a ride?”
      “I don’t understand”

And many others, but this last phrase is very very easy, of course, but that was one of those phrases, that are so easy and common, that I started repeating it for everything I saw and couldn’t understand, that when I saw a woman saying it in a serie (I think it was friends) that I got confused for an instant and I thought she was speaking my own language haha

Redoy
        Redoy
        Participant

Haha interesting ! thanks for those phrases.

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

I forgot to say this. I went to youtube and I typed: “Practice phrases” and it came up with many videos of phrases. But his one I particuarly liked:

This guy is saying that, rather than studying english, you should find someone that will teach a subject taht you like the most, or any other filed of interest that you surely have, and talk to this person, either in person or through the internet. By doing this, you both will be practicing english and talking about the same subject. You will probably need to open the google and see videos and images of the things related to the subject. That is far more efficient than studying books and being in a room or even wathing a video of lessons of a teacher inside a classroom with a chalkboard talking in english. Of course, it is more efficient, not that these videos aren’t efficient.

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Oliver, There are two part of this test and It is face-to-face Speaking and Listening test

There will be an examiner, and one other candidate.

Actually IELTS Life Skills test designed to reflect everyday experience of communicating in an English-speaking country. There will be short discussions on everyday subjects including:

personal details/experiences
      family and friends
      buying goods
      work
      health
      leisure
      education/training
      transport
      housing
      weather.
      Like normal question.

thanks πŸ™‚

oliver
        oliver
        Participant

Thanks

chin
    Participant

What is IELTS Life Skills?

dirk
      dirk
      Participant

Hi Chin,

Check this video.

hope it will answer your question

chin
        Participant

Thank you Dirk, video is help me a lot. thank you

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi chin, I just talked about the test with seth. Whatever IELTS life skill is a test which help you to get some UK visa and it help you on the immigration purpose. This test depend on speaking and listening. It is available at CEFR levels A1,A2 and B2.

thanks

chin
        Participant

Thank you Leandro. I did not see that about Seth sorry, but thank you for repeating the information for me.

ane
        Participant

Chin, Redoy is right. IELTS Life Skills is a test of Speaking and Listening, it is available at CEFR Level A1 and CEFR Level B1.It was made to meet the requirements of UK Visas and Immigration and other immigration purposes.

Leandro
          Leandro
          Participant

I think I have to ask this. Is the test based on the country main accent? Or, maybe the conversation you have is made by a native teacher, so you have to able to understand a UK accent, I guess, right?

I say taht becase UK accent for me is the hardest to understand. Even for americans. I was in a Google hangout last year, and there were about 5 people in this conversation, among us there was an american and a guy from London. The london guy had to repeat what he was saying more than 3 times, because even the american couldn’t understand what he was saying hahaha

He had a very very strong accent.

Redoy
            Redoy
            Participant

Hi Leandro, Interesting story !! I think so this test is to understand UK accent πŸ™‚

seth
    Participant

Can I use any IELTS test result for UK visa application?

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi seth, There is a test named IELTS life skill which is depend on listening and speaking. Some visa of UK required this test. This test help you on immigration purpose and also help you to get some UK visa.

thanks

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

That’s very interesting!

nguyn
    Participant

How can I become a better IELTS teacher?

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Hi, nguyn, have you seen this?

https://www.edx.org/course/ielts-academic-test-preparation-uqx-ieltsx#!

It is a free course that will be open until the 25th of November. I guess it is possible to be watching it after that date, however I am not sure. I think that date is only for the possiblity of receiving grades and certificate.

I hope you like it!

ane
      Participant

Hello,

To become an IELTS teacher you’ll need to learn English and know how to teach IELTS. Contact your nearest British Council office to see what is available because they run IELTS teacher training programs.

πŸ™‚

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi nguyn, I took a course under a very good lecturer. He is verified by Cambridge. I just surprised to see his technique of convince. To improve your IELTS teaching you can watch videos on YouTube. There are many videos and if you watch them you will get many techniques which can make you good lecturer.

thanks

oskar
    Participant

Can my students use their own personal experience in their writing answers?

ane
      Participant

Hi Oskar

I believe, Yes! the Writing Task 2 will ask them to include relevant examples based on their knowledge or experience. So it is best to let them practice writing their experiences so you can check the delivery, content, construction and organization of thoughts.

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi oskar, Answering depends on question. There are some rules how to write. There are some books which can help you to get this. The name of the book is “Cambridge IELTS 1-9”. There are many question and answer sample.

thanks

hann
    Participant

What are the differences between IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training? Which should I recommend to my students?

dirk
      dirk
      Participant

Academic IELTS is suitable for those who are going to apply for further studies and professional registration. Individuals planning to get admitted in undergraduate or post graduate course at a college or university where English is necessary should take this type of test.
      General IELTS is appropriate for those who are going to English-speaking countries to complete work experience and training programs or for immigration purposes. General training IELTS tests the candidates’ communication skill, which is needed for people who is not a native English speaker and want to migrate to a country where English is the language of communication

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

I’m not sure about what is the difference, but i guess it is about how to write in a formal way, like: it is preferable (if not the only way) for you to write “I cannot” rather than (or instead) I can’t, or even when you’re speaking, because it is clearer. I sometimes prefer to speak “I cannot” rather than “I can’t”.

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Hann, Actually IELTS general training for general people who visit different country to do business or other work. On the other hand IELTS academic training is for student who want to get scholarship or want to study outside. Academic training for students so you can suggest your students to seat for a Academic training.

thanks

benjamin
      benjamin
      Participant

IELTS Academic is designed for test takers who want to study at university at undergraduate or postgraduate level, or who want to join a professional organisation in an English-speaking country. IELTS General Training is for test takers who want to train or study at a lower level than a degree, work or do work-related training in an English-speaking country or emigrate to an English-speaking country.

selig
    Participant

What is the weighting of the four papers?

selig
      Participant

Thank you so much Anne and Redoy.

Redoy
        Redoy
        Participant

Most welcome selig. πŸ˜€

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi selig, There are 4 paper Reading, Writing, Speaking, listening and every paper contain band score from 1-9. Then all score will be merge together.

thanks

ane
      Participant

The overall band is the average of the four individual band scores (Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking) – they all have equal weighting.

amand
    Participant

How do you pronounce the word often?

Genessa Mae
      Genessa Mae
      Participant

Redoy
        Redoy
        Participant

I pronounce “often” like your 1st pronunciation among three. What about you or which is the correct pronunciation ?

thanks

arden
    Participant

Hi
    I’m desperate to learn and get the best results but im kinda worried cause of my regional accent, will that have an impact on IELTS? Some advice will be much appreciated

dominicus
      Participant

Hi Arden. I agree with Kara. It take practice and if your accent is the problem it is always best to watch or listen to English movies or audio. Disregard local shows etc. Mimic how they speak and pronounce words. If there are words you cannot understand, write them down and look for the meaning. If there are words you don’t know how to pronounce check the internet how to pronounce them. Even if you read books with thousand pages orally but you’re reading them incorrectly and you’re not understanding it will not be very helpful. What you need to focus is accent reduction, pronunciation and intonation. Here is a video for accent reduction. you can also check the internet for more.

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Arden, Actually regional accent will be a problem for you. Please practice more and more to reduce regional accent.
      thanks

Kara
      Kara
      Participant

Hello there. I’m an Asian and also have regional accent (people call it foreign accent in some places) took IELTS and got great results, more importantly practice on pronunciation and grammar and kill negative thoughts.

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Hi Arden and Kara, try to read a book outloud. One of your interest. Maybe a children’s book of fantasy, like alice in wonderland or the wizard of oz. I would suggest Tolkien fantasy (Hobbit and LOTR mainly), because it has more than a thousand pages haha. When you finish it you’ll be pronouncing it much better, maybe like a native speaker. =)

Leandro
          Leandro
          Participant

The little prince is agood start too!!

dominicus
    Participant

He everyone, I’m a newbie here planning to Apply for State sponsorship under 2613(Analyst/Programmer). Does it need IELTS and what band score? Thanks for those who will reply.

dominicus
      Participant

Thank you. I’ll check on that. appreciate.

benjamin
      benjamin
      Participant

Dominicus this site mite answer your question. http://deltaimmigration.com.au/Analyst-Programmer/261311.htm

cathy
      Participant

Hi,
      It depends on your assessing IELTS authority. It should be indicated in the website. Like in my case, I am an industrial engineer and my assessing authority is Engineers Australia. the required band score is a minimum of 6 in each component and it also depends if you claim points for IELTS. What I know is, if you claim 10-20 points to that then you need IELTS band score of 7 or 8. If you’ll not claim points the required band score is 6.

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Do you guys know some abbreviations? Like aka, btw, bff (like in the Jenna Marbles video)?
    These are very common in the internet

Aka = Also known as
    Btw = By the way
    Bff = Best friend(s) forever
    Ppl = People (that is easy =P)

There are more, but these are the ones I can remember now =)

lisa
      lisa
      Participant

GTG – got to go
      BRB – be right back
      LMAO – laughing my ass out hehehe
      FYI – for your information
      DIY – do it yourself

fred
        Participant

LOL – laugh out loud
        IDK – I don’t know

Leandro
          Leandro
          Participant

AFK – Away from keyboard

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Here it is a very hard level video haha. I watched it and found it intereseiting, but I am too far from learning these words. I need to live in Australia to learn them:

mao
    Participant

where to learn ielts 1st level of studying?

lisa
      lisa
      Participant

Mao, i first learned about IELTS online. when I heard the word IELTS I checked google what it was and I discovered that there are a lot of guides, videos, lessons for free. You can also find an online IELTS teacher. my teacher is very good. her name is Neve here is her skype: dzeniviev.

Redoy
    Redoy
    Participant

Hi,

I am Redoy akond. Nice to see that everyone Sharing their wishes and opinion. I took a IELTS preparation course but I didn’t seat for test cause I think I am not fully prepare. Now I am looking to know the feeling to hear from you who seat for IELTS test. Can anyone please share with me the feelings ?

thanks

ane
      Participant

The most common feeling of my students is “Nervous”, but I always tell them not to be or else their nervousness will eat them. LOL. The most important thing in taking the exam is to relax. Weeks before taking the exam I ask them to read the lessons we tackled aloud and not memorize or what. When you read aloud it helps you more because you’re using two senses. You’re using your eyes and ears, so your brain will absorb more than reading only where only one of your senses will work. I hope I’m making sense.

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Well, I think that the best tip is actually to be patient if you’re not really confident about your english proficiency. If you feel that you can understand english in a very comfortable way, than a test is not a big deal, it is just about the grade you’ll achieve, considering that you are above the necessary. For you to know better if you’re really good in that, you can make some simulations. In this site you can download the speaking, listening, writting and reading tests separetely. Last year I tried to make a simulation, and I noticed that I was able to make the test but I wasn’t sure if I could finish it on time because I could read well, listen well, etc. but I was taking too much time to do that. Then I realized my problem was to practice more until it got really simple and comfortable. If I make the test feeling mysself almost like a native speaker, then I’d have better degrees then I’d have if I was nervous, because my problem would be only to be focused, and not too much relaxed haha
        However, of course, that takes time

Redoy
          Redoy
          Participant

Thank you so much for your great advice Ane and Leandro. I will try to do so as like as your tips. πŸ™‚

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

And I think this is the last thing I have to share with you guys, maybe you don’t know this channel yet, it is very very very good. It is about totally free classes, but good ones with very good teachers. It is very simple to understand their accents (at leat the ones I watched) and you learn while you have a bit of fun too, since they are not boring. =)

https://www.youtube.com/user/engvidenglish

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

This is a very funny channel to watch and practice vocabulary and listening:

She is very funny haha

mao
      Participant

she is talking fast. i did not understand. only hilari clinton. hahahahhaa

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Yeah, i had to watch it 3x because I couldn’t get it all. Everytime I watch it I find something new πŸ˜€

Leandro
          Leandro
          Participant

You can torun the subtitles on:
          She starts saying: “Hello there, are you between the ages of 0and 17? kindly click away and have a great day.
          Are you 18 and over and can vote in the United States? Well, Hello there new BFF. I’m Hillary Clinton and I recently announced via social media that I’m running for president in 2016.”

If you don’t know, BFF means Best Friend Forever. XD

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi, Leonard

Thank you so much to share this kind of videos with us. Her fluency is too much good and I laugh a lot after watching this πŸ˜€ …

thanks again.

Redoy
        Redoy
        Participant

Sorry Your name will be Leandro. I just made a mistake.

Leandro
          Leandro
          Participant

This confusion in my name is completely normla in my Country. Didn’t know taht would happen in english haha. I will have to deal with that around the world now too. haha
          That’s ok, np πŸ™‚

Redoy
            Redoy
            Participant

Haha Actually I was thinking about Leonardo DiCaprio. So I made the mistake but later when I saw clearly then I feel sorry….

thanks

Leandro
              Leandro
              Participant

Many timees throughout my life I wished I could be called Leonardo, not only because people think this name is more beautiful, but because it would be easier for me haha

Redoy
                Redoy
                Participant

hahaha funny πŸ˜€ !! Nice to meet you..

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Second video made 1 month ago:

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Of course, she has millions of views, but not it is possible to people here to haven’t seeing this before, I watch it almost everytime it is suggested by youtube hahaha

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Have you guys read that too?

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Not “that”, but “this”*
      Sorry, my bad

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Another option is to read comics, Like these ones:

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Yes, I also love to read those kind of funny comics =D ,,, And I learn many words from those comics.

thanks

Didier
        Didier
        Participant

Yes it is good read. thank you.

Mohit
    Participant
      Didier
      Didier
      Participant

Thank you Mohit, I will check them all.

Mohit
    Participant

Hello
    You should definitely watch F.R.I.E.N.D.S., Didier and Leandro. I’ve watched it several times and I’m a huge fan. If you like comedy genre you can give Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory a shot as well. You will laugh and learn simultaneously.
    Happy Learning

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

haha …Yes, Mohit the big bang theory is a great show πŸ˜€

Genessa Mae
    Genessa Mae
    Participant

@brent

Glad to hear that despite the IELTS result, you’re now successful and you seem to be loving your career. I understand your point but I’m sure that these countries requiring IELTS didn’t just put it there without any reason or purpose. There are a lot of reasons why they require IELTS. It is designed to assess ability of candidates who need to study or work because English is used as the language of communication. Maybe you’re destined to be better in your line of work now.

Cheers!

brent
    Participant

I think IELTS shouldn’t be a basis for visa grant or a requirement. I failed IELTS twice, and I am an Engineer. because of that I was not able to go to the US. but I am now working under a big company in my country. why base the capacity of someone with only their speaking. A lot of people in the world cannot speak English well but are very skilled in their own field of work

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Brent, in the market you really need to have a very good fluency. in any field it is very necessary to have good comunication. A work is already full of problems and you don’t have to be creating more atricit in the speech. everything needs to flow well in comunication. Even though in your country people are “fluent” in yout mother language, they can have comunication problems, so it is more likely to happen this when you’re speaking a language that you don’t have a strong domain!
      Imagine yourself talking to a customer, you need to be clear, to choose the correct words, it will create difficulties if you use words that doesn’t really translate the meaning of what you’re selling. Comunication failures can create accidents. it is a matter of safety too. =)

Didier
      Didier
      Participant

I think it is a good decision to have IELTS. I imagine going to countries and i cannot communicate. English is now the most used language in the world so it is important. If there’s no IELTS maybe I will not be learning now and maybe i still do not speak English. Maybe I cannot go to other country asnd I just stay here. But I am happy you’re successful. I hope I can also be in another country not here.

brent
        Participant

My point is I can speak basic English and people can understand me thats whats important for me.

Redoy
          Redoy
          Participant

Hi Brent, You failed on Ielts but you are successful now. That’s great but think for a moment. If you passed in Ielts and you get chance to study on Australia or other country. It can be more successful for you. You can be the professor of some university. Life can be more beautiful. But I am really impressed to hear from you that you are satisfied with your current situation.

thanks πŸ™‚

Didier
    Didier
    Participant

Can anyone suggest how can I apply to get scholarships to study in Australian university? Thank you

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Hi Didier,

You are looking to know How you will apply on Australian University for Scholarship. I have some knowledge about that. I got that knowledge from my teacher and many other resource. At first you have to search University who provide scholarship. You can google it. If you find some then read their requirement. You will get idea from their website that what you can apply on their University.

thanks

Didier
        Didier
        Participant

Thanks Redoy.

Redoy
          Redoy
          Participant

Most Welcome πŸ™‚ !! Didier

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

Do you guys know this famous youtube channel? Just to share it, I think it is good to be entertained and to practice a bit of listening.

Tha annoying orange:

https://www.youtube.com/user/realannoyingorange

It probaly has more than 1 hundred videos. =)

Didier
      Didier
      Participant

Leandro, I saw some of the Videos. My teacher suggested watching “Friends” and it really helps a lot.

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Yes, Didier, the serie friends is definitely a very good option since they use a simple vocabulary most of the times. It was made for teenagers I guess, that’s why. I can understand most of the things that they say. It is like 80-90% or even more at some points! In other series this number is strongly reduced. It is like 20%, and there are some scenes in which I got nothing at all! =/

Didier
          Didier
          Participant

I see, maybe it works for us because we’re just beginners. It is hard to understand deep terminology so I am cool with it. I do’t watch them anymore. I’m more on watching other series like walking dead and supernatural. I like the story at the same time I learn. My tutor told me to watch movies in my interest so I will understand better and learn from it. I Mimic them and record my voice. I also write what they say and try to say them out loud. I check google meaning of the words I do not understand. I think my tutor is dfoing good teaching me, she is effective. I’m not perfect but compared before I am better in English.

Leandro
            Leandro
            Participant

I’m sure you’re better than before. This methodology really works. It is a matter of time to achieve the minimum fluency that makes us be able to say: “I speak english!”

Keep the good work! =)

Redoy
              Redoy
              Participant

Hi Leandro, I watched some of videos from this channel. Really its a great way to learn English with fun. And animation is also too good. haha lol πŸ˜€

Leandro
    Leandro
    Participant

How much time do you spend everyday studying english?

I’ve been spending about 20minutes to 1 hour for a long time, until i noticed that I knew much more words than I need, but I wasn’t feeling that I knew english. So I noticed that I needed to take a break, but not totally. I still memorize a few words everyday, but I am paying more attention not only to speaking or reading, not even pronunciation, but in achieve the fluency. I rarely spend more than 5 minutes speaking to myself and I think taht if I stop studying for a while I will nevertheless keep improving. I was feeling a bit blocked (is that the right word?)
    I feel that I know english already, but it kinda has to be given time so it can settle down. I don’t live in any english country. I’d probably be much better in english, ’cause when I went to USA last year for 9 days, it helped me in understanding better some words and others I had the opportunity of using words specifically to real situations. that is much better than being sat in front of the computer or a paperwork with thousands od words in a list.

Rachel
      Rachel
      Participant

Hi Leandro

Psychologists say that to commit something to long-term memory, you should practise little and often. That’s good news, I think, because learning things off by heart, like vocabulary, is really boring if you do it for too long. I think you’re right to carry on learning words, and you’re right not to make that the focus of your study. People learn things much better if the things are relevant, so you should write, read and speak as much as you can. If you come across a new word, find out what it means straight away and I believe you will remember it well. Plus, you will be interacting with other people, which has to be more fun than staring at lists.

Leandro
        Leandro
        Participant

Sure, and it is much better when you’re talking about something that you like, because it will not only make you feel focused, but because it will bring up an immense amount of memories. Because, of course, if you really like some subject, you will have experience with it, and then you can find the words in a much easier way, and ,if you do not have the words, your partners in the conversation will bring them up for you, and that will instantly be learned. When you like something a lot, it comes to your head with full attntion and emotion, then if you need a word that describe anything related to that, it should be completely named, but if it is not, than that little empty space will not be little, if you compare with the rest of the things that you already know. So, when you find the name, it will be so easily and quickly connected to the other things that you don’t even need to be worried about repetitions or even how to pronounce it, since it will be achoing in your head for very long! haha

Redoy
          Redoy
          Participant

Nice hear from both of you. I appreciate the way you learn. But I am sharing my experience.

Probably maximum time in a day I spend in from of my laptop and I do everything on here in English. And I use google translator to understand the meaning, if I find new words. And for speaking I watch tutorial in English. When I watch cricket match, I try to get their pronunciation and I also try to speak like them. I really practice more and more cause I am student. I am sharing with you a funny things that I also speak upon with me on bathroom in English. πŸ˜› lol …

Mohit
    Participant

Thank you so much for the help Marcella Brassett the information is very helpful. I will definitely study the materials you have provided links for and get back to the forum in case of any query.
    I have introduced myself in the ‘introduce yourself’ section.
    Have a good day

Piotr
    Participant

I want to go to the land of Oz, I am from Ukraine and I am planning to go there to study and work. I hope I can pass IELTS so I can get approved Visa.

Leandro
      Leandro
      Participant

Where is the land of Oz? USA?

Marcella
        Keymaster

Hi Leandro, the land of Oz is Australia. It is a nickname that rhymes with Aus the short form of Australia. It’s a slang reference, and usually the land of Oz refers to the movie/story: The Wizard of Oz.

Leandro
          Leandro
          Participant

That’s very interesting!

And that was my doubt. I remember that the land of OZ in the story is in Kansas. Is that correct? Anyway, it was in USA, that’s why I made the question too. =)

Redoy
            Redoy
            Participant

Yes, also some people called Australian cricket team as Aussie. Oz come from Aussie πŸ™‚

Mohit
    Participant

I have been thinking about moving to the Continent for the past few years now. And what I have researched is that there are safe neighborhoods in Perth and Melbourne. I have to study and work part time, if I get the visa. Which place would you recommend since I have told what my daily routine would include. Natives please suggest good options. I would be very thankful to you.

Marcella
      Keymaster

Hello Mohit and welcome!

I am in Melbourne and love this city, though it does get cold in winter. Perth is on the West Coast and quite warm.

You ask important questions about employment and safety. Melbourne is the second largest business centre in Australia, so you have more options for finding employment here I would say. You can also book a free appointment with one of our student counselors at an IDP Education office near you for more in depth advice and support on studying in Australia.

Please download free city guides on Perth and Melbourne from http://insiderguides.com.au/guides/ to read more on each city.

Let us know how you go. And if you haven’t already, please do introduce yourself in that section of the forum so that you can continue to connect with people and get questions answered. Have a great day.

Redoy
        Redoy
        Participant

Hi Marcella, I have a dream to go to Australia by getting scholarship on well known university for higher study. Can you please tell me top 10 Engineering University list who provide scholarship ?

Thanks in Advance πŸ™‚

Marcella
    Keymaster

Hello. Here is an amazing resource for international students in Australia. With useful information on living and studying in Australia: http://insiderguides.com.au/guides/

Redoy
      Redoy
      Participant

Thank you very much Marcella for this link. πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.