NEAS Quality Endorsement
The IDP IELTS Teacher Training Program has been awarded a NEAS Quality Endorsement.
It is the first Product to be Quality Endorsed as part of NEAS’ new quality Products and Services initiative, which recognises high-quality products and services that benefit the ELT community.
English Australia CPD points
English Australia, he national peak body for the English language sector of international education in Australia.
English Australia’s Professional Development Program helps to support the professional development of English college staff involved in managing, teaching, marketing and administration of ELICOS programs.
IELTS Teacher Training Reviews
See what others are saying about the program.
IELTS Teacher Training participant
IELTS Teacher Training participant
What are the course features?
- Interactive IELTS Writing and Speaking courses
- Covers Academic and General Training Writing
- Authentic ‘live’ materials and official IELTS samples
- Online intuitive training platform to optimise learning
- All training materials included
- 10 hours worth of learning for each course
- Practice in using the public Band Descriptors
- Receive a certificate of completion
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Writing test
- 1.1 Writing Training Course Information
- 1.2 Introduction to the IELTS Writing Tests
- Unit 2: Understanding IELTS Writing prompts
- 2.1 Understanding Task 1 prompts
- 2.2 Understanding Task 2 prompts
- Unit 3: Writing assessment criteria
- 3.1 Focus on Assessing IELTS Writing
- 3.2 Introduction to the Writing Assessment Criteria
- 3.3 Focus on Criteria Terminology
- 3.4 Focus on Task 1 Terminology Exercise
- 3.5 Focus on Task 2 Terminology Exercise
- 3.6 Assessment Criteria Knowledge Check
- Unit 4: Writing assessment method
- 4.1 Examiner’s Marking Method
- 4.2 Matching criteria to performance
- Unit 5: Identifying atypical scripts
- 5.1 Introduction to Atypical Scripts
- 5.2 Focus on Problem Areas
- 5.3 Negative Feature Knowledge Check
- Unit 6: Testing Understanding of Criteria
- 6.1 Testing understanding – Matching criteria to performance
- 6.2 Assessing Task 1 AC and GT
- 6.3 Assessing Task 2 AC and GT
- Unit 7: Revision
- 7.1 Writing Assessment Criteria Revision
- 7.2 Final Knowledge Quiz
- 7.3 Conclusion of Writing Course
- Unit 1: Introduction to the IELTS Speaking test
- 1.1 Speaking Training Course Information
- 1.2 Introduction to the IELTS Speaking test
- Unit 2: Focus on Assessment
- 2.1 Speaking Assessment Criteria
- 2.2 The Public Version of the Speaking Assessment Criteria
- 2.3 Key Features of Fluency and Coherence
- 2.4 Key Features of Lexical Resource
- 2.5 Key Features of Grammatical Range and Accuracy
- 2.6 Key Features of Pronunciation
- 2.7 Speaking Assessment Criteria Knowledge Check 1
- 2.8 Assessment Method
- Unit 3: Assessment Standards
- 3.1 Standard Assessment Ratings
- Unit 4: Matching Assessment Criteria to Performance
- 4.1 Instructions
- 4.2 Part 1 Extracts
- 4.3 Part 2 Extracts
- 4.4 Part 3 Extracts
- Unit 5: Assessment Practice - Interviews
- 5.1 Instructions
- 5.2 Interview 1
- 5.3 Interview 2
- 5.4 Interview 3
- 5.5 Interview 4
- Unit 6: Revision
- 6.1 Speaking Assessment Criteria Knowledge Check 2
- 6.2 Conclusion of Speaking Course
- Does it cost to enrol in the IELTS Teacher Training courses?
No, the IELTS Teacher Training course is free for all TESOL/IELTS teachers.
- What happens after I register to enrol in the IELTS Teacher Training courses?
After you register to enrol in the Teacher Training course:
- IELTS will confirm your registration
- We’ll enrol you in the IELTS Teacher Training course and email your personal login details to the online learning system. Please be aware that it might take up to 2 business days for us to do this to approve and provide access. We’ll email you when you’re ready to start.
- You can access the online learning environment. Complete the courses at your own pace.
- When you’ve completed both courses, we’ll ask you to complete an evaluation survey.
- IELTS will email you a Certificate of Completion within 2 weeks of completing your survey.
- Can teachers award band scores to students?
Teachers are not allowed to award band scores using the public Band Descriptors but can highlight features in the assessment criteria that match written and spoken performance.
- I am an IELTS teacher, can I distribute the contents of this training course?
The contents of this training course must not be shared or distributed.
- Do the IELTS Speaking and Writing training courses have a pass rate?
Yes, a pass mark of 80% is required for all interactive quizzes.
- Can IELTS test takers enrol in this course?
The IELTS Teacher Training course is for the exclusive use of professional IELTS teachers and tutors. The content of the course requires an understanding of teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- I don’t have time to do the full course, what can I do?
The complete IELTS Teacher Training course takes approximately 20 hours to complete. The Writing module takes 10 hours and the Speaking module takes 10 hours. You can complete either module, or learn elements from each module.
However, we only issue a Certificate of Completion if you successfully complete both modules and the evaluation survey.
- Where else can I get information for teachers?
The Guide for Teachers provides further information about the test. Additionally, it offers detailed descriptions of test scores. It includes tips from teachers on how to prepare students for IELTS.
- Is this course recognised for Continuing Professional Development points?
- How long can I access the program for?
Access to the IELTS Teacher Training Program is granted for 120 days. If you require more time to complete the courses, you will need to re-enrol.
Teach IELTS with these tips
It doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced IELTS teacher, or a first-time IELTS: We have everything you need. Guide your students through their IELTS test with our teaching support, including practice activities, recommended training courses and helpful IELTS teaching tips. Be an inspirational IELTS teacher to your students with these classroom activities, teaching resources and assessment tips – all designed to help you and your students achieve success with IELTS.
Free teacher workshops
Exclusive for teachers based in Australia, register for free IDP IELTS teacher workshops. We’ll guide you through the public band descriptors. And, we’ll give you examples how IELTS is scored. You’ll learn valuable tips that you can use in the classroom. So, learn from IELTS experts to pass it onto your students. With IELTS, we train the trainer.
Anything from our comprehensive guide to teach IELTS, to tailored lesson plans: we have the resources you need to teach IELTS. When you register with IELTS as a teacher, we’ll share new resources when they become available. Therefore, you’ll be the first to know when we have something new!
Information about the IELTS test
When you teach IELTS, you want information that is up-to-date. So, why not get it straight from the source? IDP Education is one of the proud co-owners of IELTS. Consequently, we have the tools that can help you teach your students. Expertly.
Why teach IELTS
By teaching IELTS, you get to develop your English teaching career. And, at the same time, improve your employment prospects. Why? Because you can work all over the world. IELTS has test centres in more than 140 countries, which means teaching opportunities in over 140 destinations around the globe. Also, we have many test centres in Australia. We provide helpful IELTS teaching course tips and give you access to a global network of resources, workshop materials, and other IELTS teachers.