Migrating to Australia

A guide for migration to Australia

Clean air and beautiful beaches. A strong economy and cultural diversities. These are just some of the reasons why so many people consider Australia the perfect place to call their new home. IELTS is one of the key tools you’ll need to secure permanent residency in Australia. It is the most widely used and respected measure of English skill in Australia for study, work and migration.

What Australian visa do you need?

When you intend to migrate to Australia, it’s useful to know what visas there are. In general, visas are divided into categories:

I need a visa for study

Want to join more than 620,000 international students to get world-class education? You’ll need a student visa (subclass 500). A student visa lets you study in Australia. You can also work for a limited number of hours. Check our 8 easy steps to get your Student Visa. After you’ve graduated, you can also apply for the temporary graduate visa (subclass 485). This visa which lets you work in Australia after completing your studies.

Learn more about student visas

I need a visa for work

There are a number of options if you want to stay or come to Australia for work. If you’re a student in Australia, you could be eligible for a graduate visa. There are also a number of points-based visas if you have a skill Australia needs. Some of these visas may lead to Permanent Residency.

Employer Sponsored Workers

An employer-sponsored visa lets Australian businesses sponsor and employ workers. You need to have qualifications, skills and experience required in Australia. If you want this type of visa, you need the support from your (future) employer. Depending on your visa, you can get work on a permanent or temporary basis. In the past, this was subclass 457. However, in March 2018 the Government replaced it by the Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482). It requires people to demonstrate English language proficiency. IELTS can help you demonstrate this.

Graduate visas – 485 Visa

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live and work in Australia on a temporary basis after you’ve finished your studies. You need to demonstrate a level of English proficiency for this visa. You can book your IELTS test here.

Learn more about migrating to Australia

I need a visa for migration
Permanent migration

There are a number of options to stay in Australia permanently. People often refer to these as Permanent Residency or PR. We’ll list some of the popular visas.

Employer Nominated migration

The Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) is for qualified and skilled workers. They could be eligible for Australian permanent residency and live and work in Australia indefinitely. The Subclass 186 visa requires you to be nominated by an approved Australian employer. You will also need to have competent English skills.

Regional migration

The Regional Sponsorship Migration Scheme (subclass 187) is suitable for skilled employees. Additionally, an Australian regional employer should nominate you. This visa lets you live and work in Australia permanently. With IELTS you can demonstrate your English language proficiency.

8 Australian PR visas you need to know about

Moving to Australia for work?

Learn more about IELTS for Australian immigration (and what test is best for you). Also, we’ll share some of the Australian immigration requirements for English language tests.

View our guide

Book IELTS for Migration

Moving to Australia for study?

Each year, more than half a million international students choose Australia as their study destination. They use their IELTS score for entry into universities and schools. From sandstone universities to our top-quality regional universities, international students are spoilt for choice. After all, Australia’s university system is ranked 10th in the world.

View our guide

Book IELTS for Study

Why you should choose IELTS?

You IELTS, your choice

Computer-delivered or paper-based. Academic or General Training. With IELTS, you choose how you take your test.

Face-to-face Speaking test

Speak with a human examiner in the IELTS Speaking test, in a private and quiet room. Your examiner can slow down, repeat and clarify questions, and won’t ‘time out’ on you.

Free online preparation

Get a free online preparation course with your test booking and access a range of official practice material to help you do your best.

Get help when you need it

Get easy, fast and friendly customer support with our dedicated IELTS Australasia Contact Centre. Contact us now via live chat or send us an enquiry and we’ll get back to you within one business day.

Need help with your student placement?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Immigration and the law

Legislation about immigration changes frequently. It’s important to check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for changes that may apply to you. If you want an Australian student visa, work visa or PR, you need to lodge an application with the Australian Government. You may want to consider getting support from a lawyer or migration agent. However, you can also get free advice for student visas.