Check the IELTS requirements for your Australian study program
You may require evidence of English as part of your visa application. Check our full list of Australian universities accepting IELTS 5.5 and above. IELTS is the official English language test provider if you require a test score.
Book your IELTS test and get the score you need.
Register for your computer-delivered IELTS test, use our free preparation material and get the score you need for your Student Visa (Subclass 500). We can send your results directly to your University.
Apply to your university and start your Student Visa
When you have the IELTS score you need, you can apply for your course. Accept the offer from a University and apply for your Student Visa (Subclass 500).
IELTS and Student Visas in 3 steps
- Check the IELTS requirements for your Australian study program
- Book your IELTS test, we can send your results directly to your university
- Accept the study offer from your university and apply for your Student Visa
Most international students need to meet English language requirements to gain entry into their course and get a student visa. However, some international students are exempt from the English language proficiency requirement.
- Check if you’re exempt from the English language proficiency requirement:
- When you completed at least five years of study in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the Republic of Ireland.
- You’re a citizen and passport holder of the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.
- Successfully completed the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, or study at Certificate IV level or higher in Australia within two years of applying for a student visa.
- You enrol full time in school studies as a principal course (including secondary exchange programs), postgraduate research or a standalone English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) program.
If you are not on this list, you probably need to provide evidence of English language proficiency to your university when you apply for your program of study.
Legislation about immigration changes frequently. It’s important to check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for changes that may apply to you. If you are interested in Australian student visas, work visas, or looking to migrate permanently, you need to lodge an application with the Australian Government. You may want to consider getting support from a lawyer or migration agent. However, you can also get free advice for student visas.