IELTS One Skill Retake is now accepted in all Australian states!


Western Australia's 2022-23 state nomination program

Do you have a skill in demand for Western Australia? Check if it's on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list (WASMOL) or Graduate occupation list (GOL). When your occupation is on the list, nominations are available for the 2022-2023 program year.

Applications will be based on a ranking system, giving preference to applicants currently living in WA, followed by those living in Australia and finally those living overseas.

The 2022-23 program will also enable international students to apply for permanent residency through WA's skilled migration pathway. The graduate occupation list now boasts a total of 331 occupations that include Engineering Professionals, Registered Nurses, Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages and Social Professionals.

"Providing a skilled migration pathway is key for attracting international students to Western Australia to retain their capabilities once they have completed their studies." said International Education Minister David Templeman.

Education and Training Minister Sue Ellery added that the need for a skilled workforce is a priority to support the state’s economic growth.

“The State Government is committed to encouraging the return of international students to WA to support our international education sector and address skills shortages in key industries,” she said.

Invitations to apply for WA State nomination under the new Graduate Occupation List will not start until the 2022-23 program year. Learn more about what is outlined in the new 2022-23 WA State nomination – combined occupation list and the requirement criteria.

Book IELTS for Migration

Big boost to drive growth of international education sector

A 41.2 million package has been announced to support the international education sector in Western Australia.

Some of the key initiatives include two new scholarship programs:

  • The Premier's University Scholarships, worth a total of $2 million over four years, will provide funding for 10 one-year scholarships valued at $50,000 each per annum to attract high-achieving international students to WA's five universities.

  • The Premier's WA Certificate of Education Bursary, worth $4 million over four years, will provide support of $20,000 per annum to 50 offshore WACE graduates from WA's international partner schools.

Other initiatives to drive growth of the international education sector include:

  • $400,000 for the creation of a school support program to encourage international students studying within the schools sector to continue their student journey with a WA education provider

  • $4.5 million boost to StudyPerth, which ensures international students are welcomed and supported while studying in WA

What is the English language requirement?

At a minimum, you’re required to evidence a Competent level of English for your nomination application. That’s for both the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) and Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491).

However, if you hold a passport and are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America, or the Republic of Ireland, then you don’t need to provide English language test results. If this exemption applies to you, you must provide a copy of the bio page of your passport.

Is an English language test required as part of the visa nomination application?

Yes, you must provide a copy of your English language test when you apply.

The Western Australia Government accepts all English language tests which are deemed eligible by the Department of Home Affairs. IELTS is trusted by the Department of Home Affairs.

Book IELTS in Western Australia

IELTS for migration

IELTS is the only English language test that offers a General Training option. IELTS General Training is accepted and trusted by the Australian Government for visa applications. Book your IELTS General Training test now to make sure you have the score you need for your visa.

Immigration and the law

Legislation about immigration changes frequently. For example, in June 2021 Australia added 22 new occupations to its priority migration list. So, it’s important to check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for changes that may apply to you.

If you are interested in Australian student visas, work visas, or looking to migrate permanently, you need to lodge an application with the Australian Government. You may want to consider getting support from a lawyer or migration agent. However, you can also get free advice for student visas.

About this Article

Published on June 07, 2022

About this Author

IDP IELTS logo - Global
IDP IELTS Australasia