Need to retake one skill? IELTS One Skill Retake is here.


Victoria's Skilled Migration Program Update

The State Government of Victoria has established a pathway for highly skilled individuals to assist the industry address labour shortages caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

For the 2022-23 program, all occupations on the relevant Department of Home Affairs occupation listexternal icon are now eligible. Applicants are no longer required to be using STEMM skills and working in a target sector to apply.


You must be eligible under either the subclass 190external icon or subclass 491external icon

Book IELTS for Migrationexternal icon

Selection rounds

ROIs will be selected from August 2022 to 5 May 2023.

ROI selection

When selecting ROIs, the Victorian government will consider the following factors according to the information you have provided in your EOI and ROI:

  • age,

  • English language level,

  • years of experience in your nominated occupation,

  • education and occupation skill level,

  • partner’s skill (if applicable),

  • salary – onshore candidates only.

The following occupation groups will also be prioritised:

  • Healthcare and social services

  • Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)

  • Advanced manufacturing, digital and innovation economy

  • Chef, cook, accommodation and hospitality managers – for the 491 visa

  • Early childhood, secondary and special education teachers.

Victorian Skilled Migration Visas

Victorian skilled visa nomination allows those already living and working in Victoria to continue supporting Victoria’s economic recovery. Victoria provides visa nominations to highly skilled professionals, already employed and living in Victoria for the following skilled visas:

To be selected to apply for Victorian skilled visa nomination and assessment, you must first make or update an EOI via SkillSelectexternal icon and then submit a Registration of Interest for Victorian State Visa Nominationexternal icon.

IELTS and Migration

IELTS is the only English language test that offers a General Training option. IELTS General Trainingexternal icon is accepted and trusted by the Australian Government for visa applicationsexternal icon. Book your IELTS General Training test now to ensure you have the score you need for your visa.

What is Australia’s points system for immigration?

When you’re considering migrating to Australia as a Permanent Resident (PR), you may come across points-based visas. We’ll explain what this is and how the Australian PR pointsexternal icon calculator works.

What visas are available for Victorian Skilled Migration?

How does the points test work for skilled migration to Victoria?

When you apply for a skilled migration visa, you need to meet a minimum pass mark. Each visa will have its own pass minimum points score. For example, you need a minimum of 65 points to be able to submit an expression of interest for the Skilled nominated Visa (subclass 190) visaexternal icon. The Department of Home Affairs has an online Australian PR points calculatorexternal icon.

Points can be claimed for a few different personal factors:

  • age

  • English proficiency

  • employment experience

  • educational qualifications

  • community language qualifications

  • the skills of your partner

You can also get extra points if you’re invited to apply for a visa by a state or territory government agency.

Access the points calculatorexternal icon

Use IELTS for Migration

Your visa options 

If you like the opportunity to live, study or work in Australia, there are many visa options available to you. There is a study visa, skilled, sponsored work visa and business visa. Some of these may lead to Permanent Residencyexternal icon (PR) in Australia.

Your IELTS options 

The IELTS Academic test has been developed if you wish to study at university or college as an undergraduate or postgraduate student or if you want to join or gain entry into a professional institution. The IELTS General Training test has been developed to test your everyday, non-academic English.

Immigration and the law

Legislation about immigration changes frequently. It’s important to check the Australian Department of Home Affairsexternal icon website for changes that may apply to you. If you are interested in Australian student visasexternal icon, work visas, or looking to migrate permanently, you need to lodge an application with the Australian Government. You may want to consider getting support from a lawyer or migration agent.