IELTS One Skill Retake is now accepted in all Australian states!


Australia enjoys a great climate, a good standard of living and a relatively high domestic income compared to the global average. While migration to Australia can be challenging, Visa Subclass 190 provides an opportunity for people to live and work anywhere in the country. Under this visa, nominated skilled workers can attain permanent residence and sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence. Work and live in Australia with this permanent resident work visa. Certain foreign-national skilled workers who hold occupations on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List may be eligible for a Subclass 190 visa. This visa requires the applicant to complete a skills test and be nominated by a state or territory government.

Moving to Australia

Skilled Nominated Visa – Main Applicant

Visa Subclass 190, also known as the Skilled Nominated Visa, is for skilled workers who want to live and work in Australia. It is a permanent visa that lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

The main applicant for the visa must:

  • Have an occupation on the relevant skilled list

  • Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation in question

  • Be invited to apply for the visa

  • Satisfy a points test

More about Australia's Points Visas

Visa Benefits & Duration

As mentioned, Visa Subclass 190 is a permanent visa for skilled workers who have been invited to live and work in Australia. It has a travel component that expires five years after the visa is granted. Successful applicants become permanent residents the day the visa is granted. Applicants who attain Visa Subclass 190 can live, work and study in Australia for the duration of the visa. They can also travel to and from the country for five years, enrol in the Medicare public healthcare system and sponsor relatives to join them in Australia.

If eligible, there is an opportunity for applicants to become Australian citizens. For citizenship purposes, permanent residency starts either on the day the visa is granted (for someone in Australia) or on the day the visa holder enters Australia (for someone outside Australia). Like many other visa classes, Visa Subclass 190 holders may have to wait for a period of time before they can access some Australian Government payments and benefits.

Migrate to Australia

Visa Cost

The Skilled Nominated Visa is associated with a defined cost structure, including AUD4,045 for the main applicant and a separate charge for each family member who applies with the main applicant. Extra payment may be required for all applicants aged 18 or older who have less than functional English language competence. This charge is known as the second instalment and will cost AUD4,890.

The Visa Pricing Estimator is available through the Home Affairs website, although second instalment charges and other costs are not included. Additional fees may be required for things like health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

Visa Processing Time

Like many Australian visas, there are no standard processing times available for applications in this pathway. Each application is assessed on a case-by-case basis, with individual circumstances greatly affecting the processing time.

Despite the lack of official processing times for Visa Subclass 190, according to the Home Affairs office, 75% of all applicants are processed within 7 months, and 90% of all applicants are processed within 9 months.

Among other things, timing is dependent on whether you have lodged a complete form and included all supporting documents. Processing times are also affected by how quickly you respond to requests, and the time it takes to perform necessary checks. Additionally, requests to external agencies for additional documents or information about health, character or national security are likely to slow down the process.

Visa Eligibility Requirements

While there are no location restrictions, there are a number of eligibility requirements to fulfil before the visa is granted:

  • Be invited to apply

  • Be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency

  • Have a relevant skills assessment

  • Be aged under 45 to be invited to apply

  • Score 65 points or more in SkillSelect

  • Have at least competent English

  • Meet the skills requirements for your occupation

  • Other requirements as listed on the

Use IELTS for Migration

How to Apply for a Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)

In order to apply for Visa Subclass 190, it’s important to go through the application process in detail. Processing times and outcomes depend on the accuracy of the information provided. The following steps are critical:

  • Submit an expression of interest (EOI) through SkillSelect

  • Gather all appropriate documentation

  • Apply for the visa online

  • Await notification of application

  • Await your visa outcome decision

You can be inside or outside Australia when the visa is granted, but not in immigration clearance. Once a decision has been made, you will receive notification in writing. If the visa is granted, the notification will include a grant number, start date and possible conditions. If the visa is refused, the notification will include reasons for refusal, and whether you have a right to review the decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between subclass 189 and 190 visa?

The main difference between these visas is related to the sponsorship requirement. The Skilled Independent Visa (189) has no sponsorship requirement, while the Skilled Nominated Visa (190) requires sponsorship by a state or territory.

How many points do I need to apply for the 190 visa?

In order to apply for a subclass 190 visa, you need 65 points or more in SkillSelect.

Is a current job offer required for the 190 visa?

All applicants for a subclass 190 visa must be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency. State and territory authorities typically require evidence of a current employment offer.

Immigration and the law

Legislation about immigration changes frequently. It’s important to check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for changes that may apply to you. If you want Australian student visa, work visa, or PR, you need to lodge an application with the Australian Government. You may want to consider getting support from a lawyer or migration agent. However, you can also get free advice for student visas.